taylors 'shaving shop' cream anyone?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
andrew_sam3

taylors 'shaving shop' cream anyone?

Post by andrew_sam3 »

Hi guys,

Has anyone used Taylors 'shaving shop' cream at all? I havent heard anyone give an opinion on this stuff, I just wondered what it smelled like. It certainly sounds interesting.

Regs,
Andy
rschul2

Post by rschul2 »

Best description that I can give is that it has a very "clean" smell to it. A very nice and distinguished scent. The cream also provides one hell of a good shave.
Randy
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Best description that I can give is that it has a very "clean" smell to it. A very nice and distinguished scent. The cream also provides one hell of a good shave.
What Randy said. Hmmm, so that would be what I said.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

rschul2 and rtaylor61,
What exactly does "clean" scent mean??
Could you describe the notes?
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I'm not good with descriptions, but a bit woody perhaps. Maybe Ron or possible Gordon could chime in here.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

Shaving Shop has mostly the smell of cedar. Think cedar chips or cedar shoe trees. It also has a slight floral note which seems like rose to me. It performs the same as the other Taylor's creams.
Rick
mark the shoeshine boy

Post by mark the shoeshine boy »

"clean smelling"....I believe it is a citrus base...I really enjoy it myself...I even have the cologne....

Really, that is the best that I can describe it....That "barber shop freshness"...Pinaud cologne has a different scent, but it too has a "clean fragrance"...

mark tssb
SHAVE AND A HAIRCUT...WAIT A SECOND WHAT ABOUT A SHOESHINE, TOO ????
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Description from QEDUSA.com...........

<<Shaving Shop shaving cream
Revitalizing fresh Citrus is blended with the sophistication and ruggedness of precious Cedar and Oak woods. Add a virile undertone of musk over a floor of Sage and Rosemary and alluring Petitgrain for a lightly scented shaving cream that stimulates the senses and excites the emotions. >>

- Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Post by guenron »

Shaving Shop is favorite shave of mine. Definitely starts off citrus and dries down to herbals. Very pleasant. Typical Taylor's fragranced cream, GREAT! I like the entire range. Excellent spray deodorant too. Keeps you smelling the citrus! :lol:
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Thank you, Larry. I was hoping someone would get me out of having to type all that! Shaving Shop is a fairly strongly scented cream, as are all the Taylor proprietary scented shave goods. Personally, I like the scent better in the shave cream, then in the cologne, but that's just me. Some insist that this is the cream that they actually use in the Taylor's barbershop in Jermyn Street. Regards, Gordon
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

LMAO

- Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
Maynard

Post by Maynard »

I just got a tub, and my newbie first impression is definitely CITRUS (strong), followed by wood. Doesn't seem floral at all to me (very different from the rose...).
andrew_sam3

Post by andrew_sam3 »

thanks guys, this sounds like an ideal scent for me. I'll place an order for some now.

Regs,
Andy
guenron

Post by guenron »

andrew_sam3 wrote:thanks guys, this sounds like an ideal scent for me. I'll place an order for some now.

Regs,
Andy
Andy,
I think you will look back on this decision as a wise one. Of all the Taylor's cologne fragranced creams, Shaving Shop has the most pronounced fragrance, and perhaps the most delightful one at that.
Regards,
Ron

Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

Andy: Absolute ditto what Ron's said. Fabulous cologne: fresh, subtle, sophisticated, all the good things. Not at all over-priced, either. You will, indeed, look back on your move to Shave Shop as a great one. Best, John.
halwilson

Post by halwilson »

Mark's description of Shaving Shop as having "that barber shop freshness" has really piqued my interest. Now, I've gotta try this stuff too. I'm putting it next on my list. Wonder why they don't offer a hard soap in the same fragrance?

Hal
"We had the experience but missed the meaning...." T. S. Eliot
guenron

Post by guenron »

halwilson wrote:Mark's description of Shaving Shop as having "that barber shop freshness" has really piqued my interest. Now, I've gotta try this stuff too. I'm putting it next on my list. Wonder why they don't offer a hard soap in the same fragrance?

Hal
Greetings Hal,
Any hardsoap you want from Taylors, as long as it is either sandalwood or lavender. (Both of which are good)
Regards,
Ron

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, And the 'Traditional' which one sometimes sees, although it seems to be rare. I think it's easier to get in the smaller 57g size. It's a more-or-less lemon scented soap. Regards, Gordon
guenron

Post by guenron »

bernards66 wrote:Ron, And the 'Traditional' which one sometimes sees, although it seems to be rare. I think it's easier to get in the smaller 57g size. It's a more-or-less lemon scented soap. Regards, Gordon
Gordon,
Right you are! Ah, the scuttle-sized pucks. Yes, wouldn't consider them unless I could own that beautiful bone china scuttle I saw last year, with the lilacs.. It was a piece of art.
Regards,
Ron

andrew_sam3

Post by andrew_sam3 »

Hi guys,

Well, I ordered some of the shaving shop cream and it arrived yesterday. I have to say that this stuff is FANTASTIC! My usual cream is trumpers limes, but I like sandalwood scents also (I wear trumpers spanish leather cologne), and wouldn't you know it but the smell of this cream is a mixture of citrus and sandlewood! I can't put my finger on it, initial hits of citrus followed my a deeper spicy scent. I really love it.

In fact, I can't believe it's been so long since I used Taylors (I used to use their almond shaving cream for years), as I found it to generate significantly more lather than my usual trumpers creams using the same volume. Combine that with the price (taylors is half the price of trumpers), and I think I've found a new best friend!!

regs,
Andy