Kent BK2 or Kent H4

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
BullGoose
Vendor

Kent BK2 or Kent H4

Post by BullGoose »

I was looking to pick up a good brush for soap and was considering the Kent BK2 or the Kent H4 (the BK4 is a little more than I want to shell out). Unfortunately, I did not see any reviews of either the Bk2 or H4. Can anyone on the forum share their experiences with either of these brushes. I am also open to other suggestions for a good soap brush for under $50.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
Hodari D.

Post by Hodari D. »

If you want to spend under $50 and get a good soap brush, I'd consider picking up a boar brush, which are great with soaps and are pretty cheap. If you want a good badger brush for use with soaps, I'd suggest something small and stiff. Ideally, I'd recommend a small (size 1) style 1 rooney in one of their lower grades of hair, either pure ($50) or best ($55). These are stiff brushes and magic with soaps. If you want a bit more luxury and still a good soap brush, it's a little over your price point but I'd recommend the rooney genuine silvertip ($65) or super silvertip ($75). the size 1 style 1 rooneys are the best bang for the buck, especially if you are after a brush specifically for use with soaps.

check out www.classicshaving.com. They have the full range of rooney brushes here: http://www.classicshaving.com/page/page/2053630.htm

Scott
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I'm not sure about the BK2. While it didn't feel all that much different than the BK4 (a little scrubbier, I suppose), it lacked density and I couldn't really coax much lather from it.
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

At the current prices, I'd just go ahead and spring for a BK4. An excellent brush with hard soaps, you know what you'll be getting, and you will have less inclination to think you should 'upgrade' in six months. I have a number of quite pricey brushes and I find myself using the BK4 for soaps anyway, as oft as not. If you still will not consider it, then the Vulfix model, 'The Strand' in what they now call 'best' badger, for $45 at Classic Shaving, I found to be a good brush.
Regards,
Gordon
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

bernards66 wrote:At the current prices, I'd just go ahead and spring for a BK4. An excellent brush with hard soaps, you know what you'll be getting, and you will have less inclination to think you should 'upgrade' in six months. I have a number of quite pricey brushes and I find myself using the BK4 for soaps anyway, as oft as not. If you still will not consider it, then the Vulfix model, 'The Strand' in what they now call 'best' badger, for $45 at Classic Shaving, I found to be a good brush.
Regards,
Gordon
I agree. Here is my BK4 in an "action shot" early this morning with Geo. F. Trumper Violet Soap.....
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

See there?.....impressive, no? Especially with the water we have in these parts. Nice looking razor too.
Regards,
Gordon
goose

Post by goose »

I know the BK4 is $10 more, but I believe it is worth the extra cost. As the others have said it is a great performer with both creams and soaps, and it functions as well or better than many brushes that cost 2-3 times as much.

Clint
Mr. Igg

Post by Mr. Igg »

goose wrote:I know the BK4 is $10 more, but I believe it is worth the extra cost. As the others have said it is a great performer with both creams and soaps, and it functions as well or better than many brushes that cost 2-3 times as much.

Clint
Another vote for the BK4, running no more than $60 shipped from Auravita. I love mine!
Bryan
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Thanks for the input. If I can get a BK4 for $60.00 shipped, I'm all over it! I have heard nothing but good things about it but had heard virtually nothing about the BK2 or H4.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I got mine from Auravita, too, though it took almost a month to arrive since they ran out of stock just as the order was in-process. Even so, they beat their own estimated re-ship date by a week. It was worth the wait.
Ron
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

I took everyone's advice and pulled the trigger this morning. I purchased the BK4 from http://www.auravita.com/products/AURA/KGBS10068.asp for $57.00 total (including shipping).
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

BG, Well done! Pretty much within your budget and a superior all around brush. A BK4 makes mixing up a good lather with either soap or cream easier than is the case with many brushes. Should be just the thing.
Regards,
Gordon
Ken

Post by Ken »

BG,

I went to the site to check out the price of the BK8 and the BK4. When I put each in the basket, there was no adjustment for VAT--the price to the U.S. included the VAT as did the price in the UK. I didn't go through the whole process, but was there some reduction at the end for the deletion of VAT to the U.S. when you placed your order?

Ken
goose

Post by goose »

Ken,

Auravita doesn't take the VAT off until you get a little further through the checkout process, but you will see it taken off before the order goes through.

Clint
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Okay, you guys almost have ME talked into a BK4. It's the one brush I really want to try that I haven't, but I question what it would really give me that I don't already have. I have a soft brush (the Vulfix 2234) and a scrubby one (Duke 3) in a comparable size. However, I would love something with slightly more backbone than the 2234 that is equally soft. In other words, sort of a midpoint between the Vulfix and the Duke. Is this the mythical brush I seek?

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tim, Yeah, pretty much. The two brushes you have are, I think, excellent, each in it's own way. I actually think the Vulfix is a little better for creams then the BK4, but the Kent is considerably better with hard soaps, IMO, while still being very soft on the face. So it is sort of a mid-point between the two in some ways.
Regards,
Gordon
John 5

Post by John 5 »

Ken wrote:BG,

I went to the site to check out the price of the BK8 and the BK4. When I put each in the basket, there was no adjustment for VAT--the price to the U.S. included the VAT as did the price in the UK. I didn't go through the whole process, but was there some reduction at the end for the deletion of VAT to the U.S. when you placed your order?

Ken
Ken, Just ordered one. It comes out to $56.99239 US at the current exchange rate, shipped and all. Here is a copy & paste of the final bill. A splendid deal.
auravita wrote: Unit Price Quantity Amount
£34.04 1 £34.04

Item total: £34.04

Shipping and handling: £5.50

Total: £39.54 GBP
Mr. Igg

Post by Mr. Igg »

This (BK4) is a great brush at an excellent price. I think (no surprise) Gordon nailed it's descriptions.
Bryan
koeos

Post by koeos »

TBoner wrote:I have a soft brush (the Vulfix 2234) and a scrubby one (Duke 3) in a comparable size. However, I would love something with slightly more backbone than the 2234 that is equally soft. In other words, sort of a midpoint between the Vulfix and the Duke. Is this the mythical brush I seek?
Regards,
I have all three and I have to admit that I hardly ever use the Duke anymore :oops:
- Mark
goose

Post by goose »

Tim,

I haven't used a Vulfix, but the Kent is very soft and works well with both creams and soaps. In the firmness department I would guess it would be closer to the Vulfix than the Duke, due to the relatively long loft of the Kent, but I believe it is more densely packed than the Vulfix is.

Clint