Someone gave me a razor today Schick Repeater

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Someone gave me a razor today Schick Repeater

Post by brothers »

A lady I know occasionally participates in organizing estate sales. She knows I am on the lookout for razors. It's been a couple of years since she found one, and today's surprise score is a Schick Repeater V.3. It had an original injector blade in it, no holes and the word Schick embossed on the blade. For now, I'm going to go in and shave with it (new Chinese Schick blade). I'll let you know how it does.

Last edited by brothers on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Re: Someone gave me a razor today Schick Repeater

Post by CMur12 »

Congratulations, Gary. That's a pretty amazing gift!

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

During the course of the shave, just a few minutes ago, it felt as if it was getting as close as I like them to be, but ultimately, there is noticeable stubble left behind. This injector performs similarly to all of the other injectors. But it's a beautifully designed and built vintage shaving tool from 85 years ago, and I'm lucky to have it. The mechanism is all metal, no plastic, and performs perfectly. I don't think this razor has been used very much. I understand there was an open comb option, and wouldn't that be a great accessory to go with this one. I'd love to get my hands on the interchangeable comb!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

I was taking a close look at the new blade I used for the first shave with this old razor, and I found some visibly defective areas on the edge. This would explain (maybe or maybe not) why the shave was less than I'd hoped for. I loaded another new blade, and it looks a lot better. Tossed the first one, and am now looking forward to another shave with this old girl. Hoping for an improvement. We'll see. I took a look at Reynaldo's excellent razor resource, and learned that this particular razor is gold plated and was made in 1933 according to the serial number. It's either a C2 or C3 model, but difficult for me to tell because the exact model depends on the safety bar, and I'm not understanding what Reynaldo is saying about the difference. C3 is rare, I understand. Anyway, after the shave, I'll come back and post as to whether a defective edge made any difference in the final product.
Gary

Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Hold on to that one. That is a rare bird. Thanks for sharing. Isn't it wonderful that something from the 1930's still works? I have a Bakelite Injector, but what you have there is so much more unique!
brothers

Post by brothers »

Shave #2 was an improvement. I'm not at the raving stage yet, but this is a serious razor. I like razors a bit on the aggressive side, and I admit I am hard to please in this regard. I don't like them harsh, but I want no stubble after I shave. This one has potential. Maybe now I can start using up some of my modest supply of injector blades. It'll take a few more introductory shaves before I make up my mind. Have you guys noticed, in the picture above, how much of the blade is exposed? I'm still trying to figure out if this fact makes this one shave differently than all of the other, later, injectors that are milder than this one in my opinion.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm convinced the Schick Repeater is on par with all the other injector razors I've used. It does a great job, but isn't what I expect in my favorite razors. A bit too mild for my needs. I do like it a lot, a very unique old piece of shaving history, and a credit to Col. Jacob Schick.
Gary

shaveC

Post by shaveC »

I found mine to be aggressive.....it's been a few yrs since I shaved with it though. I have 3, 1 is an open comb that has a few teeth missing so I never used it. Guess I'll break it out and shave
-Ricky