Heat Retention in a mug/bowl?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Chris Richards

Heat Retention in a mug/bowl?

Post by Chris Richards »

Just started shaving with a DE and I'm loving it. I'm putting very hot tap water into my stainless steel bowl and resting my brush in it while I shower. After I'm done, I dump the water, give the brush a good couple of shakes and put a dab of Proraso in the bowl to lather. I'm getting good lather, that's not the problem, however I'm not getting very warm lather by the time I'm done mixing. (I'd say lukewarm to cold at best.)

I'm guessing that I'm loosing heat due to the stainless steel bowl, and I'm considering switching to something else. I'll probably eventually buy a scuttle, but right now would just like to have hot lather. Should I switch to a different material? Plastic, Ceramic, Wood? I have access to a large and thick ceramic Coors pestle, that I'm considering using because I think it would be ideal for mixing lather.

Ideas?

Chris
Ben

Post by Ben »

Well, I'd suggest trying everything you have on hand before spending any money.
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

here is my set up, same principle used in the moss scuttle but it cost me about 5 bucks.

hot water in the bottom = hot lather resting on top for 20+ minutes
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Any dollar-store ceramic mug will hold heat better than metal. But if you're going to buy something special, why not just go ahead?
z

Post by z »

I lather the cream directly on my face. Particularly, with Proraso, it's nice because it's *so cheap* at Target that you can actually afford to go overkill and totally lather the heck out of your face and not worry about using too much (even though I prefer other creams to Proraso).

Anyway. Back to the topic at hand. I just dip my brush under the hot tap, and then apply some of my favorite cream with a finger. Then I lather away directly on my face, and put the base of the brush under the tap between passes to add more hot water without washing the cream away. It's always warm that way.
Zach
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Chris,

I use a stainless steel bowl...it's actually a mixing bowl. Once I have my lather ready, I hold the bowl at an angle and run hot water over the bottom...heats the lather right up. I've been doing this for months and have been happy with the results.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Chris Richards

Post by Chris Richards »

All interesting ideas...... tried With the Grain's idea this morning and it seemed to work just fine. I'm going to try the ceramic route next and see how that works out.

Chris
Chris Richards

Post by Chris Richards »

-double post
Feldenak

Post by Feldenak »

I use a Fiestaware "Gusto" bowl I swiped from the kitchen. I'll soon be sending the bowl back to the cabinet where it belongs and switching to a Fiestaware latte mug.
-Andrew
vontech

Post by vontech »

I find that HOT lather really helps soften my beard, so I float my metal bowl in a small electric hotpot on the sink. Seemed like a bother at first, but believe me, the hot lather is worth it. It's a tiny Rival hotpot about 6 inches in diameter -- I believe it was about $10 at a discount store years ago when I purchased it.
-- Tom

"Used to be" a SHAVEGEEK, now recovered (sob!)
SteveL

Post by SteveL »

rtaylor61 wrote:Chris,

I use a stainless steel bowl...it's actually a mixing bowl. Once I have my lather ready, I hold the bowl at an angle and run hot water over the bottom...heats the lather right up. I've been doing this for months and have been happy with the results.

Randy
I do this too! It works well. One other thing if you do this method is to hold your brush right up against the side that the water is hitting that way the brush heats up too. Works very well.
-Steve
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

Chris Richards wrote:All interesting ideas...... tried With the Grain's idea this morning and it seemed to work just fine. I'm going to try the ceramic route next and see how that works out.

Chris
i think in moving from steel to ceramic while using this set up you'll find even more heat retention.
vontech

Post by vontech »

I'd try a stainless steel bowl first. Then, if you like it, try THIS:

QUAICHE

It's a Scottish pewter bowl that sits very nicely in my hotpot. Retains heat for quite a while outside of the pot, too! I leave my lathered brush sitting bristles down in the quaiche in the pot -- I could have hot lather for a half hour, if I wanted it. When it gets too dry, just add a bit of hot water from the pot.

If you're new, it probably doesn't make sense to purchase this -- but that didn't stop ME! One of the best purchases I've made in MONTHS!
-- Tom

"Used to be" a SHAVEGEEK, now recovered (sob!)
Chris Richards

Post by Chris Richards »

Wow, that sure is a beauty Richard.

I'm just starting out and dont' want to spend a bunch of money just yet. My next purchase will most likely be a better brush and/or a Gillette adjustable. (I've only had 4 shaves out of my Weishi and I already know I want a better razor!)

Chris