Newby saying greetings

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Jed Millet

Newby saying greetings

Post by Jed Millet »

Hi y'all,

I just wanted to say hey, and that I am greatful for this forum being availible for newby's like me. I am not new to wet shaving, althought I am new to "classic" wet shaving... utilizing a brush and DE razor, et al.

I have been adding to the "bottom lines" of the cartridge companies, but I am done with them... I have experienced both straight razor shaves and DE shaves, many, many moons ago. I am looking forward to experiencing them once again.

Your insight, instruction, reviews and general "enlightening" on the various topics within this forum are quite impressive.

Thanks again, and I look forward to contributing in the future.
Jed Millet
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Welcome to SMF Jed. There is a vast wealth of information to be found here among these fine gentlemen. What are you currently using and have you decided on any future items. If you have not checked out Mantic's videos i highly recommend them. I would also read Leisureguy's Blog. One of the first things many here recommend id to determine the razor blade that is right for your beard/skin types. LetterK's sample pack includes five of the leading types of razor blades. There are Merkur, Israelli Crystal (a.k.a. "no-names"), Derby, "Swedish" Gillettes, and the very sharp Feather blades.

Feel free to ask any questions without worry. Newbies are treated with a kind hand here. Also try using the 'search' function at the top of the window to look up old threads. Many of my initial questions were answered through there. Again welcome to SMF.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Welcome, Jed. This is a great forum, and I continue to learn from the collective wisdom of the members here. The search function is a great way to locate past discussions on various topics. And feel free to pose questions and offer up your own experiences and learnings.

Best,
Dave
Jed Millet

Post by Jed Millet »

Thanks guys,

I took your advice and just ordered a sample pack of LetterK's blades. Now If I can just figure out how to get the PM's out of my outbox to go to Pauldog I'd be in business....

- Jed
Jed Millet
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Jed Millet wrote:Thanks guys,

I took your advice and just ordered a sample pack of LetterK's blades. Now If I can just figure out how to get the PM's out of my outbox to go to Pauldog I'd be in business....

- Jed
Are you saying you don't have another DE and are waiting for a Feather DE portable?

That would not be my first choice for a newbie to DE razors. It can be agrgressive. I would start with a Gillette Tech, Fat Boy, or superspeed. Tech are known to be more mild. I have seen comparisons of the Feather to about a 7 setting on the Fat Boy 1-9 razor.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
timc

Post by timc »

Jed Millet wrote:Thanks guys,

- Jed
You don't need to do anything. PMs will move from the outbox to the sentbox when the recipient has read them.
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
verde
Ice Ice Baby

Post by verde »

From one newbie to another... welcome to the site! I've already learned tons of information, and I've barely browsed through the site.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Welcome, and let us know about your progress and discoveries.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Welcome, Jed. You're going to like it here.
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Welcome Jed. As Tim has recommended, go to Leisureguy's Blog and Mantic's Videos. These are more than helpful.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Jed Millet

Post by Jed Millet »

Thanks all,

It is a pleasure to receive such warm welcomes and a vast cache of useful information in a sometimes not so friendly or civilized world.

Leisureguy (Mike), you provide invaluable insight and suggestions on your blog.

Mantics videos are a must, great stuff.

Rob_TN, your list is phenominal! Where to begin...

Tim- I agree, this may be more aggressive than I should start with, but for the price how could you pass it up... I am presently bidding on a variety of less aggresive DE's (Super-speed, Merkur HD and a Tech).

Oh and did I mention I can easily "catch" Double Edge Razor Acquisition Disorder and Shaving Brush Acquisition Disorder....

Thanks again!

- Jed
Jed Millet