Barbershop Classics ¿daily shampoo or hairloss shampoo?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Figaro

Barbershop Classics ¿daily shampoo or hairloss shampoo?

Post by Figaro »

Hi this days i surfing and can see that classics of american old barbershop,for example:

after-shave:CLUBMAN LUSTRAY ,MENNEN SKIN BRACER .........

hair-tonic:JERIS,VITALIS,........

cologne:MURRAY & LANMAN Florida Water Cologne,

talc:Pinaud......

But don´t see Shampoo,which was the most popular shampoo that use in USA Barbershops in the past?

and which is the perfect classic stuff of a good Barbershop? in other way that products (after-shave,shave cream,cologne......) never can`t lack in 5 stars oldbarbershop?

thanks in advance
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

An interesting question, and I have to say I don't know. My experience of old-fashioned barbers was in the UK in the 1960's, and all of them would have looked askance at any request for the hair to be washed before cutting. Hair was cut dry in those days, when the usual order was for a 'short back and sides' or 'a light trim'. My brother was adventurous enough to be able to discuss a 'razor cut' but not me. All haircuts finished with a straight razor to the back of the neck and a puff of talcum from a rubber bulb. Bay Rum was sold as a hair tonic or hair restorer, and as you put your jacket on the barber would ask if you wanted 'anything for the weekend'* - which I'll confess was. at THAT time, the nearest thing I had to a sex life!

Chris
*barbers sold condoms and used this question as a coded way of asking if you wanted to purchase some.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

So Chris, how many did you buy? :lol:
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

He was heard to mutter, "gross", which had more than one meaning as well, LOL
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Sam, how very subtle of you!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Chris, I'm sorry. I lost a trial today when I really thought the proof was on our side and it was a no-brainer. I guess that is why they say we 'practice' law.

In the U.S., our barbers about that time just cut hair, and did straight razor shaves. They had a few of the 'avante-garde' at that time hair salons, but they were still mostly men here, women there. This was when the hair started parting in the middle and about the time Journey was big, around 1979-1980. I turned 18 and got a hair cut at one and they offered me a mixed drink. For about 2 years, that was my place to get my hair cut. Calvin Klein jeans, Nike waffle shoes and Izod shirts. Long hair, definitely. I'll see if Mom can find pics and if so, I'll get her to scan them and I'll post them.

Anyway, protection was the furthest thing from my mind. If I were to be in a position to score, I wanted to make sure she did not come to her senses, LOL. I guess other plans were in store for me, and though I dated quite a bit, and even women older than me, I never had to worry about some kid coming up 18 years after the fact and calling me Dad.
lordjohn

Post by lordjohn »

Talking of the old days another aspect of my haircut when I was a youngster was that although a bib was put round the neck I used to always have an uncomfortable amount of hair clippings fall down the back of my neck which caused uncomfortable itching for the rest of the day. This does not happen now but may not be unconnected with the fact that I have considerably less hair. In addition the barber would always assume that everyone wanted Brylcreem plastered over their head and there were few who would go against this final flourish of his art.

John
Figaro

Post by Figaro »

well i investigated,and the shampoo of barbershop of 50's-60's was:

wildroot shampo
vitalis shampoo
Pinaud clubman country club? not sure

any info is welcome
Drummer

Post by Drummer »

When I was a kid in the 60's, flat-tops were standard fare (in my neighborhood at least), which included a liberal application of 'Butch Wax', which took at least three days to wash out of your hair...
Joe
lordjohn

Post by lordjohn »

Flat tops? Are these short stubbly haircuts about half an inch long all over? If so in the UK I think we called these crew cuts..I hated them and still do!

John
Drummer

Post by Drummer »

Yep, just as the name implies, a brutally short cut on the sides and back, with just enough left on top to allow it to be shaped flat and level. The Butch Wax made the top stiff enough to easily support the weight of a standard china dinner plate... :wink:
Joe
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

A flattop had a bit more hair on top as compared to a crew cut. The first picture is the Crew Cut and the second being the Flat top:

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
lordjohn

Post by lordjohn »

Thanks for that clarification. The flattop does look quite good actually while the crewcut looks gruesome as anticipated.

John