Yardley the real deal?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Yardley the real deal?

Post by brothers »

I spotted this. I wonder just how old it is, and whether it would even lather after all these years.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Probably from the 50s. And yes, it will lather like gangbusters.
Rich
goose

Post by goose »

I don't know the date, but that looks like the real deal. Is there any scent left? Even if there isn't, it should still shave fine. It is reported to shave as good or better than anything currently on the market today.

Clint
suffolksupplies
Vendor

Post by suffolksupplies »

I would say early 40's, late 30's. I have one almost identical with a Royal warrant that confirms this date. My one has an advert for the aftershave lotion inside the lid instead of the hair tonic.

The lather is excellent, the scent is almost gone, very faint Lavender but still pleasant. As you can still see the yardley stamped on the soap it hasn't been used much either.

The later 50's/60's bowls don't have the knob, just a flat lid.

Regards,

Paul
Best regards,

Paul

Quality shaving products & toiletries from Connaught Shaving http://connaughtshaving.com
never2close

Post by never2close »

So good buddy, would you like to sell it and start the year with a c note in your pocket?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

It's pretty old as that's the Prince of Wales Warrant on it and it mentions the hair tonic on the reverse of the lid. However ( rightly or wrongly ) Yardley continued to use the Prince's Warrant long after he had become The Duke of Windsor. So, it's hard to say. It could be from anytime from the '30s up throught some time in the '50s. I tend to think that the latter part of that span is more likely. I have one that looks just like that and although it has lost it's scent, it still produces lather at least as good as anything being made today.
Regards,
Gordon
suffolksupplies
Vendor

Interesting, officially warrants can only be used up to 5 years after the Prince or King has died or abdicated.

Here is a picture of the 1957 vintage soap:

Regards,

Paul
Best regards,

Paul

Quality shaving products & toiletries from Connaught Shaving http://connaughtshaving.com
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Paul, So they say...at least today. But Yardley went ahead and did it anyway. And they weren't the only ones. I have Trumper catalogues from the 1980s that still show bottles with George VI's Warrant on them.
Regards,
Gordon
suffolksupplies
Vendor

As there was no one to give the title to at the time perhaps they were allowed to use it untill 1958.

Is there another way to date the soaps? My bowl has an advert on the bottom for their after shaving lotion, lavender toilet soap, Invisible talc & Brilliantines hair tonic. Were all these products available in the 30's?

Paul
Best regards,

Paul

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Paul, Only very approximately. The bowls with a raised knob in the center of the lid are older then the ones without it, And the ones where they pitch the hair lotion on the reverse side of the lid are generally older than where they mention A/S etc. But it's difficult to be more precise than that, as they used that green and black label and the Prince of Wales Warrant on their Lavender shave soaps for many, many years. And, an interesting aside; past some point in the later '50s the Yardley sold in the US did not carry any Royal Warrants, even though the firm still held two ( The Queen and The Queen Mum ). I don't know if this had to do with the terms of the licensee agreement, or what.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

never2close wrote:So good buddy, would you like to sell it and start the year with a c note in your pocket?
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. It's not mine to sell, otherwise you would have had it yesterday! I see it on ebay right now, it's up to $41, and it ends tonight. I'll be watching to see how much it ultimately brings, but am not selling it and I'm not bidding on it. I would never use it, I'd probably end up breaking even or losing money, if I wanted to buy it for it's sentimental value or unfortunately, trying to buy it so I could turn around and sell or trade it in order to make a profit. I respectfully suggest that if you want it, you could put in a bid for that amount, and you'd probably wind up buying it for somewhere between $60 and $100. It is interesting to read the discussion on these forums, though. Good luck if you decide to bid on it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
diggity

Post by diggity »

I'm bidding on it....but man, it's really getting up there in price.
Nathan
never2close

Post by never2close »

brothers wrote:
never2close wrote:So good buddy, would you like to sell it and start the year with a c note in your pocket?
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. It's not mine to sell, otherwise you would have had it yesterday! I see it on ebay right now, it's up to $41, and it ends tonight. I'll be watching to see how much it ultimately brings, but am not selling it and I'm not bidding on it. I would never use it, I'd probably end up breaking even or losing money, if I wanted to buy it for it's sentimental value or unfortunately, trying to buy it so I could turn around and sell or trade it in order to make a profit. I respectfully suggest that if you want it, you could put in a bid for that amount, and you'd probably wind up buying it for somewhere between $60 and $100. It is interesting to read the discussion on these forums, though. Good luck if you decide to bid on it.
Thanks for the info. For some reason I'm having trouble finding it on Ebay. Would you be so kind as to provide the link? Thanks in advance.
Note-- I found it with 90 minutes to go. Let's see how high
it goes. Thanks.
Churchill

Post by Churchill »

At one time I had both versions of the old Yardley shave soap.The one being sold in the ebay auction and the newer version with the white label and the large black,red and gold "Y" on it. I felt the newer version performed much better than the old one so I sold it. For 15 bucks,looking at the ebay auction maybe I should have held on to it a little longer. :?
Bob
koeos

Post by koeos »

I bought a few of these a couple of years ago on eBay for under $10 before people started to lose their minds over it. LOL.
- Mark
diggity

Post by diggity »

Yeah, while I would love one of them, 83 bucks (including shipping) is really out of my price range. I can't believe how much that sold for <sigh> as I was really set on buying it.
Nathan
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm sure the successful buyer is thrilled with the hunt and the victory. But I much prefer having my $83 still in my bank account, than the Yardley sitting on a shelf.
Gary

never2close

Post by never2close »

brothers wrote:I'm sure the successful buyer is thrilled with the hunt and the victory. But I much prefer having my $83 still in my bank account, than the Yardley sitting on a shelf.
Yes I am. Thanks for the heads up.
diggity

Post by diggity »

Congrats, never. Great find. I am envious! :lol:
Nathan
never2close

Post by never2close »

diggity wrote:Congrats, never. Great find. I am envious! :lol:
diggity,

With one and I'm done. I promise I won't step on another auction that you're interested in.