Vinolia soap

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Vinolia soap

Post by bernards66 »

As some of you know, I've used nothing but Vinolia in the shower for a few years now. I used to also be extremely fond of the Floris Rose Geranium soap and used it whenever I was feeling flush, but discontinued when they went to a palm oil base. Since, it's been nothing but Vinolia. Alas, I am finally reaching the end of my stash of the old version ( the one with the Royal Warrant on the box ) and was forced to order a little of the newer formulation. The cakes arrived today. It will be a few weeks before I actually use any but I note that the changes in ingrediants have been fairly minimal. With the new stuff, tallow is still listed as the first ingrediant and sodium palm kernalate has replaced sodium cocoate as the second ingrediant. Beyond that, the new version has no boracic acid ( which was the last listed ingrediant in the old stuff ), the scent ingrediants are now specifically listed and they now openly 'admit' that it's made in Cyprus....which it has been for years in any case. Sooo....I'm hopeful that it will continue to work as well for me as it has in the past. The scent also seems very similiar. It's true that the new version is a whiter white in appearance.
Regards,
Gordon
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Gordon, it would be interesting if you could update the thread when you've had the chance to use the new rendition. I seriously doubt you'll notice any significant difference.
Regards,
Jani
druphus

Post by druphus »

Gordon, please do update after you use this. From the perspective of one who has only used the current version - I find this soap to be the best I've tried. Here is a scan of the Ingredients list, which confirms everything you said in your report:

Regards,
Andy
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I was not the biggest fan of the new formulation, but having done the circuit with many other soaps since my review last year, I would put the new Vinolia back on the short list. I'm willing to forgo my past minor reservations and give the bloke another go. I do like the subtle scent, one of the few around that I can stomach. But the Master needs to chime in to make this official.

Come on, Gordon. Move up your timetable a bit. That's a good lad. :)
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jani, Andy, and Ron, Oh, I will definately re-visit this thread after I've had an opportunity to try the new version where it counts. Won't be for a couple or three weeks though as I'll be damned but that I'm going to use that last cake of the old stuff down to nothing before I switch out. All three of your responses to my post are encouraging, so, I'm cautiously optimistic.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good idea Gordon, look forward to your report.
Regards,
Squire
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I had gotten a new and old version from Ron and well, used the new one first. So I still have the warrant to use. Once I finish this bar of Claus Porto Vetyver, I have a Talba Swedish Pine, two Fougeres from some Italian maker (escapes me at the moment) and the Vinolia. Think I will hoard it until Gordon posts. Fall sounds like a good time for the Pine one I think
liam34

Post by liam34 »

I haven't use this Vinolia soap. So i don't have any idea. Thanks for sharing.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I haven't use this Vinolia soap. So i don't have any idea. Thanks for sharing.
same here but it still would be nice if Gordon used the new stuff a few times NOW instead of later :lol: :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

curiosity is killing the cat: where is the best place to buy this soap?>>>>Im not a soap person but the box looks too cool not to own

clive
druphus

Post by druphus »

fallingwickets wrote:curiosity is killing the cat: where is the best place to buy this soap?>>>>Im not a soap person but the box looks too cool not to own

clive
For small quantities in the US this is currently the least expensive:

http://www.carbolicsoapusa.com/vinolia- ... -1480.html
Regards,
Andy
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Thanks, Andy. That's really lowball for this soap.
Ron
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks for the link. i see they sell through amazon as well.

clive
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, today was the day that I cracked open a cake of the newer version Vinolia. While it's too early to be certain that my skin will be okay with it, I don't anticipate any problems in that regard. The soap is different in all aspects but only VERY slightly so. It's whiter in color, the scent seems very subtly different as does the lather. But I want to emphasize that all of these differences are so slight that only someone who has used the soap as much as I have and is as picky as I am would likely notice. Unless something untoward happens vis a vis my skin I suspect that it will continue to be my bath soap of choice.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Gordon, many thanks for the update. I bought a few boxes from carbolic...I cant wait for them to arrive. Thanks again

clive
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

bernards66 wrote: Well, today was the day that I cracked open a cake of the newer version Vinolia. While it's too early to be certain that my skin will be okay with it, I don't anticipate any problems in that regard. The soap is different in all aspects but only VERY slightly so. It's whiter in color, the scent seems very subtly different as does the lather. But I want to emphasize that all of these differences are so slight that only someone who has used the soap as much as I have and is as picky as I am would likely notice. . .
Right-O. Thanks, Gordon. The only other point I made long ago was after rinsing, my skin felt a bit "chalky" as compared to the original. I've come across this on other tallow-combo soaps, but I "chalk" that up to the water I was using at the time. As the man says, we shall see.
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Clive, You're welcome, and good for you. It's a great classic, so I hope that it works well for you. Enjoy!
Regards,
Gordon
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Gordon, nice to read that although there have been some changes, your beloved bath soap is still 'ok'...lol!

Vinolia is one of those items that's been on my list of things to try for a long time now; I've just never got round to it yet.

Gareth
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

The scent is taking bit of time to get used too, but I used it tonight in the shower and I can tell why people love the stuff. The soap lathers really well, rinses beyond belief and leaves the skin feeling wonderful. I actually feel rejuvenated right now even though weighed down by one to many delicious becks :lol: :lol: :lol:

many many thanks

clive
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Clive, I couldn't quite get the scent at first, either, but I ended up . . . well, I won't say craving it, but it did become very appealing. I'm not one who usually likes heavily scented products, but the scent of the old and new bars was similar and quite subdued, yet distinctive, so that probably had something to do with it.

I'll have a new bar in hand to try again in a couple weeks and will definitely check to see if the soap is symbiotic with hops. Best of luck with your new stash, and cheers.
Ron