Note Taking Apps (iPhone)

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
mikeny278

Note Taking Apps (iPhone)

Post by mikeny278 »

Can anyone recommend any note-taking apps for use on the iPhone? I have too much paper everywhere, and I would like to start replacing some of it, if possible, by typing notes into my iPhone.

I am not sure if the idea is really practical, but I was reading a short article on one of the younger Apple execs who was compared to Steve Jobs. The article mentioned he took notes during a meeting by typing into his iPhone. It made me curious whether this could have advantages in the way files could be saved and backed up, and organized more easily, assuming that one was really able to type all of the notes that they needed easily into their iPhone!

It seems to me this would take a little practice, and before I invest time in learning an App, I thought maybe someone else may have already tested some out so that I could start with the best one suited for this endeavor.

Thanks,
Mike
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

A favourite of mine is Awesome Note, I've been using it for a couple years now. If you're looking for something more for documents, maybe Pages would work. I don't have any experience with that one though.

Mike
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Im a big fan, along with many others, of evernote

http://www.evernote.com/about/download/iphone/

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I use a handwriting app on my iPad called Penultimate. With a stylus, it is very much like pen on paper with advantages like being able to use different colors and line widths, different styles of paper (graph, lined, plain and more) and the ability to import and annotate pictures and documents. Unfortunately, the iPhone is too small for this (although there is a scaled-down phone version), and I really don't think typing on the phone is very practical for all but short notes. In fact, I use a Bluetooth keyboard when I have to do any serious typing on my iPad.
Jim
Rob

Post by Rob »

I don't have an iPhone, but I do use apps that integrate with Simplenote. I have an Android phone, a webOS tablet, and of course a PC. I use Simplenote-compatible apps on my mobile devices, and then I use a web browser on my PC to access my notes via the Simplenote website. Works great.

I have also heard great things about Evernote, but I've never used it.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I suppose a Moleskine would be out of the question then?? I really dig their pen design and how it clips onto the cover of their notebooks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... YH6IiXj4nw#!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Meeting attendees
Pounding their notes on a laptop
Or worse, on a tiny iPhone keyboard
Sorry, but I just don't see how you can be engaged in a meeting when you're busy typing the proceedings.
Ed
mikeny278

Post by mikeny278 »

I think it is more socially acceptable in business to take notes on an iPad, but on an iPhone I think you would look like a kid texting friends. I don't think it is in my budget to get an iPad yet, but maybe for Christmas, so I am probably going to wait on trying all of this out. Board of Directors are now slowly moving toward using iPads with electronic Board materials instead of getting printouts and binders they need to worry about shipping all over the place, so using an iPad in a Board room is becoming the norm and not so crazy as it sounds...

That Penultimate software would be nice to use in an upper level meeting because you could use a stylus and write your notes instead of pounding on a keyboard. Now is there something that could convert my written notes to typed pages that would work with Penultimate? That would really be the Penultimate!
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

And in principle, how is this different from writing down the proceedings?
kronos9 wrote:Meeting attendees
Pounding their notes on a laptop
Or worse, on a tiny iPhone keyboard
Sorry, but I just don't see how you can be engaged in a meeting when you're busy typing the proceedings.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

JayTrek wrote:And in principle, how is this different from writing down the proceedings?
If I were running the meeting and saw that I was paying people in the room to all type the same thing into their productivity tools, I'd instead select ONE person to record and send out that information later.

Also, when I take notes, I end up drawing arrows, diagrams, attendees' names as they're located around the room, questions, and the occasional flash of brilliance. I find pen and paper admirably suited to such free-form note taking.

But that's just me. 8)
Ed
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

fallingwickets wrote:Im a big fan, along with many others, of evernote

http://www.evernote.com/about/download/iphone/

clive
I agree. It is multi-platform so you can also download the desktop client and have your notes pretty much everywhere. What if you got a bluetooth keyboard? It'd make it easier to type notes into your iPhone.

Another option to Evernote is Springpad.
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway