Kai DE Blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BeatlesFan

Kai DE Blades

Post by BeatlesFan »

As I've discussed in a recent post, I've just come on board with Polsilver Super Iridium, which I think competes evenly in every respect with the also-excellent Personna Hospital Use. I plan to lay in a good reserve supply of both.

As a result of a number of favorable comments about the Kai, I decided to give that a test-drive as well.

First off, I think the complete lack of any markings, branding, etc. of any kind is sort of interesting. Just a clean smooth piece of steel. Very aesthetically appealing.

As regards the shave:

Sharp? Oh yes. It's certainly among the very sharpest of all blades on the market, and (in a blind test) I doubt that I could distinguish it from, say, a Feather.

Comfort and Smoothness? Hmmm -- Not so much, for me. As always, others will have different experiences. But I found the Kai to be a bit harsh -- maybe not too bad, but more so than my favorites. Even a few hours after shaving, my face is a little red and feels a bit raw.

Final verdict: I won't be ordering this blade in bulk. I can well appreciate that any gentleman who finds Kais to be comfortable would be pleased to have a large supply of these, and for good reason. For me, however, I wouldn't stock up on these blades, as others (specifically, for me, the Polsilver Super Iridium and the Personna Hospital Use) are equally sharp, but significantly more comfortable.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Kai DE Blades

Post by Squire »

I like Kais (and Feathers) for the same reason that so many others find them objectionable or harsh, their sharpness.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

In my experience and with my razors, the Kai blades seem to be on par with the Personna hospital use blades. Comfortable and sharp, yet durable.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

i came to the same conclusion....nice, but not nice enough to order again :) Also, in fairness, when i ordered (several years ago) there happened to be rampant kai mania going on, and so my expectations might have been a little over the top lol

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yeah, I like them but there are so many others I'm not going to try chase down some Kais at a decent price.
Regards,
Squire